1 / GENERAL
Aix-en-Provence is a city in southern France with an important cultural heritage.
Population: 140 684 inhabitants
Maps : Google Maps
Population density: 756 km2
Région: Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur
Postal Code: 13080
2 / TRANSPORT
You can reach the city by highways A7, A8, A9, or A59 from Lyon or Arles, for example. A part of the city center is for pedestrians only and some streets are hard to reach because they are too narrow. We recommend you to park your car in a parking lot and walk around town since Aix-en-Provence is not too extensive.
Destaxis are available and will take you to the train station, airport, and to precise places in the city. Some even offer touristic routes.
Some taxi's compagnies:
There are two train stations in Aix-en-Provence:
One located in the city center and serviced just by TER PACA trains (you can go Marseille from there).
If you arrive from bigger cities such as Paris, Nice, or Lille, you will get off at the TGV station Aix-en-Provence. Please note that this station, though convenient, is located 18km from the city center.
To book tickets and check the departure times, please visit the SNCF website
The closest airport to Aix-en-Provence is Marseille Provence, which is located in Marignane. From there you can reach cities like London, Amsterdam, and Marakesh. Connections are also made between Canada and even Cuba.
A shuttle service passing by the TGV station will take you there for 7.80 euros*.
Getting around town by bus
Aix en Bus, which is the city’s bus network, services Aix-en-Provence and its surrounding area and includes 26 regular lines. You can take it to reach the historic center, the different neighbourhoods, and the city surroundings. This is the most practical way to visit Aix.
Many preferential prices were created by the network for tourists and occasional travelers. The single-fare ticket only costs 1 euro* and the 3-day ticket costs 5 euros.*.
To check the pricing list, please click here.
3 / WHEN TO GO?
Aix-en-Provence luckily enjoys a nice climate, since its winters are usually mild and sunny.
You can go there in summer to visit the city with nice weather and enjoy its festivals.
- Aix-en-Provence International Festival of Lyrical Art
This event takes place in summer and celebrates opera and classical music. It is one of the biggest European lyrical events and you can attend outdoor performances organized a bit everywhere in the city.
- Festival de la chanson française du pays d’Aix In fall, discover the authors, composers, and interpreters bringing forth their love for words, the feeling of the text, and the language of Molière.
- The Calisson Sweets Celebration, vous irez à l'encontre des auteurs de bandes-dessinées nationaux et internationaux avec qui vous pourrez échanger lors de séances de signatures. Le festival propose aussi des expositions, des ateliers ainsi que différentes animations.
- Rencontres du neuvième art, in spring, you’ll meet national and international authors and cartoonists who you can speak with during signings. The festival offers expositions, workshops, as well as different events.
4 / INFORMATION AND USEFUL ADDRESSES
Tourism Office : http://www.aixenprovencetourism.com/en/
Emergency call: 112
Missing Children: 116
Aix en Bus: http://www.aixenbus.fr/aixenbus_en
Museums and Touristic Sites
Cours Mirabeau: http://www.aixenprovencetourism.com/en//?detail=5843
The Old Town: http://www.aixenprovencetourism.com/en//?detail=2668
Les Allées Provençales: http://www.les-allees-provencales.com
Cézanne’s Studio: http://www.aixenprovencetourism.com/en/things-to-do/explore/paul-cezanne/cezanne-sites/?detail=2643
Musée Granet: http://www.aixenprovencetourism.com/en//?detail=2716
Mémorial des Milles: http://www.campdesmilles.org/home2.html
Montagne Sainte-Victoire: http://www.aixenprovencetourism.com/en/things-to-do/explore/sainte-victoire-mountain/
5 / BUDGET IN AIX-EN-PROVENCE
The prices indicated below are just for reference and include a standard double room. The prices may vary depending on the season.
- Between 30 and 60 euros, you’ll have the choice between 2 or 3 star hotels, located in the city center, or apartment-hotels for those who want more freedom.
- Between 60 and 120 euros, enjoy more than satisfactory services in classy establishments as well as welcoming bed & breakfasts.
- Starting at 120 euros, the luxurious comfort of 5 star hotels with enchant you and you won’t want to leave so early!
Should you need further information, please visit France Hotel Guide website.
The prices below are just for reference and include the price of a dish/meal for one person.
A treat under 15 euros
- You’ll have delicious and homemade cakes and Breton crepes at Crêpes Cidre et Compagnie.
(Crêpes, Cidre et Compagnie, 23 rue de la cépède)
- For a culinary escape, Aux Délices du Liban offers fresh Libyan cuisine, made of different flavors that you will enjoy in a lovely atmosphere.
(Aux délices du Liban, 60 rue Riquet)
- With the ideal location in Cours Mirabeau, come to the Béchard bakery to find the city’s speciality: the calisson sweet. This little treat will make you want to bring some back in your suitcase!
(Béchard, 12 cours Mirabeau)
A meal (between 15 and 35 euros)
- In a hall that dates back to the 17th century, come try savoury dishes at L’Alcôve, located in the old town. You willl fall in love with the ideal gourmet meals that the chef offers.
(L’Alcôve, 19 rue Constantin)
- Au Goût du Monde is a restaurant and tapas bar that will serve global cuisine in a warm and musical atmosphere. This is the ideal place for an outing with family or friends.
(Au Goût du Monde, 38 rue des Bernardines)
For a gourmet meal (between 35 and 90 euros)
- To try Mediterranean cuisine, go to Côté Cours. Chef Ronan Kernen is a former participant on Top Chef. This gourmet restaurant will serve refined meals at affordable prices.
(Côté Cours, 19 cours Mirabeau)
- The romantic atmosphere of Poivre d'Ane will bring you in to unveil fine, audacious, and creative cuisine.
(Poivre d’Ane, 40 place des Cardeurs)
For a very special occasion (between 90 and 130 euros)
- You’re looking for fabulous and inventive cuisine? That is what awaits you at L'Esprit de la Violette. Chef Marc de Passorio will let you spend a memorable evening in an unordinary place. Don’t forget to make reservations in advance.
(L’Esprit de la Violette, 10 avenue de la violette)
What about a drink?:
- The Kerry welcomes you with a musical atmosphere, themed parties, and a beer bar with affordable prices.
(The Kerry, 38 rue de la verrerie)
- Located in the heart of the city, the O'Sullivan'S is the ideal place to meet in the evening. This Scottish pub offers various drinks at average prices.
(O’Sullivan’S, place des Augustins)
6 / UNMISSABLE VISITS!
Aix-en-Provence is full of history and culture, but it is also a dynamic university town. It is a mixture of modernity, nature, celebration, and relaxation. Here are a few suggestions of places to visit if you want to discover the city and its surroundings.
- Cours Mirabeau This is one of the most frequented and lively places in the city. Four fountains can be found there and the most impressive one is undoubtedly the Rotunda fountain.
- Old Town Get ready for a travel back in time. Overflowing with cultural treasures and architectural heritage, go discover many monuments as well as mansions.
- Allées ProvençalesThey are the extensions on the historical neighbourhood. The urban center will lead you through the whirlwind of shopping with its numerous shops.
- Cézanne’s StudioFor those who love painting, the studio opens its doors all year round. This is a real memorial bringing together the personal effects of Paul Cézanne as well as his works.
- Musée GranetThis museum is listed among the most beautiful museums in France. You’ll be charmed by its different exhibits and see magnificent works of art
- Mont Saint-Victoire, This mountain is famous throughout the world and is the symbol of Provence. You’ll be able to take your car to follow the road that goes around the mountain. Once there, you just have to behold the breathtaking view over the surrounding villages. For the more adventurous, rock climbing is available with experienced instructors.
- Marseille Located around 30 minutes from Aix-en-Provence, it is one of the largest cities in southern France. Established on the coast of the Mediterranean Sea, the city has an optimum situation. This dynamic urban center will entice you with its history and liveliness.
- VentabrenDiscover Ventraben, a village located 20 minutes from Aix-en-Provence. The place is famous for having the largest stone aqueduct in the world. The Roquefavour Aqueduct provides Marseille with drinking water directly drawn from the Durance River. The river is known to have saved Marseille from cholera in the 19th century. You’ll be able to walk on the aqueduct all while admiring a typical Provencal view.
*This travel guide was published in April 2015, prices may then vary.